top of page

Separation Agreements 


In 2013, people, including those with a same sex partner, who have lived in a marriage like relationship for at least two years, were afforded property rights by statute in our Family Law Act.

If you are in what is often referred to as a “common law” relationship ,you need to know that there are rules that are specific to you when your relationship ends in that you need to take action within a time certain in order to preserve your rights. This is not the case if you are legally married, so if you have common law partner, it is vitally important to obtain legal advice in a timely way. We strongly encourage you to get this advice before your relationship ends so that you take steps to ensure your rights are not compromised.


Protect yourself for the future.

Talk to us before drafting a separation agreement

bottom of page